Re: [NTLK] ActionNames vs. MoreInfo

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Mon Nov 12 2001 - 03:28:33 EST

on 11/12/01 9:00 AM, SlashDevNull at SlashDevNull_at_mac.com wrote:

> Hmm. I had no idea AN was that buggy. Are the bugs big data losing bugs
> or what? I can put up with ignoring some functionality while saving $85.

I'll try to explain my biggest complaints in a moment, but if I hadn't spent
almost $80 on AN, I would have gone with MI. That is for sure.

> Do you still use AN?

It is on my Newt, but frozen at the moment. :-)

> And are upgrades for MI still coming out?

I wouldn't know that. Somebody else??

> I just installed AN so I guess using one or the other would be easy enough
> to do.
>
> AN4 looked (on the surface and playing around with it) like it does more
> than MI.

That is hard to believe. :-)

> Is there a lot more functionality with MI? Or are you recommending MI
> mainly because it has less bugs than AN?

Here are the bugs with AN that kill its functionality.

1. Linking of non-AN items to names. Try linking a normal note or outline to
a name. Now, link a todo or an appointment to the same name.
2. Open your name, and choose "Contact History" from the popup. When you
open it, you will see the date linked. All is fine.
3. Now, click on the last checkbox to show the note that you have linked.
Instead of it showing, you will get an error. Now, at this point, do NOT
close you name file. If you do, you will not be able to open the Names app
again. If you do, I hope you remember what note you linked to the name,
because you will have to find it and unlink it. Or, you could do a reset of
your Newton to be able to open your Names app again. If you don't close your
names app, you can uncheck the check box, so that your appointment or todo
or call doesn't show, and then click on the misc. check box, and the note
will show, but you can't display misc items and other items all together.
It's a real pain. One, in fact, that completely undermines the purpose of
this function, making it worse than useless.

Second major bug. I like the display of the built-in names, especially how
quickly and easily I can create appointments, and I prefer the built-in
Overview. For one thing, it's faster. Unfortunately, if you try to display
todos in the Overview, you run into several problems.
1. If you have AN set to display completed todos, you can't do an overview
with them displayed.
2. Any Todo with a priority set below 4 also causes problems with displaying
in the Dates app. If you use the Dates app at all, these bugs create all
sorts of problems, and make the added features of AN almost useless. In the
end, I found it to be more of a pain than it was worth, and eventually froze
AN4, and went back to the built-in apps. If I want linking, I simply make
sure that the whole name shows up somewhere in every item. For notes, I add
the person's name to the title. For todos and appointments and calls, it is
easier. If I want to see all items linked to a person, I simply do a global
search for the whole name. It is very simple, and often faster than using
AN, MI or Dateman. :-) I use the built-in Assist for making and logging
phone calls, and find that I don't really need any of the features that any
of these programs provide.

That all said, I think that probably Dateman has some of the best features,
and is very customizable. I need to download and try the demo of the latest
More Info, but I certainly found that it was better than AN, and I paid for
AN. :-)

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland