Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V1 #328

From: DON (don_at_dcphotos.com)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 19:21:12 EST

> Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2001 03:54 -0800 (PST)
> Subject: Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V1 #328
> From: Woo Lee <vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net>
>

> 'TAX'? That's a different thread and covered EU stuff.
> I started with a 'hidden charge' added to cost of blank mediums to
> compensate for some of the lost 'revenue' due to illegal copying. This
> 'hidden charge' isn't on paper. It's an 'gentlemen's agreement' that
> increases profits thru many means, the 'proping up' of stocks is one of the
> many methods.
> Overall sales and profits of the entertainment industry has risen steadily,
> therefore big companies are still making profits, but the 'little guy/girl'
> is losing out.
> Well, time for some more french-pressed Kona...mmmm
> <D'oh!> oops, my NEWTON needs some fresh batts...
> ------------------
>> And just how does this have to do with anything?
>> First, what does my stock portfolio have to do with this "TAX"?
> ------------------
Actually it's the same thread, you call(ed) it a hidden charge I call(ed) it
a TAX same thing, different thing, whatever. It's more than just you and I
discussing it.
 You are trying real hard to make this work, but I still say your assuming
way too much here. Random House or Doubleday (book publisher, not an "
entertainment industry" as you put it, as the "Hidden fee" supposedly also
affect the copyrights of books) would have to own stock in Xerox and all the
other copier manufactures AND then those companies would have to turn a
profit AND then pay a dividend. Otherwise the book pubs. would have to sell
some of the stock at a profit, and then wait till the stock climbed higher
to sell because now they own less shares.
Your argument doesn't hold water.
Don