Re: [NTLK] newtontalk Digest V1 #328

From: Woo Lee (vitcitylb_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Sun Nov 11 2001 - 05:05:28 EST

------------------
>Actually it's the same thread, you call(ed) it a hidden charge I call(ed)
it
>a TAX same thing, different thing, whatever. It's more than just you and I
>discussing it.

'Hidden charge' is outright ripping customers off, but it's not on the
'books', there many ways to hide it. The .gov is trying to catchup.
'Tax' is a levy only the .gov can charge/collect.
----------------
> You are trying real hard to make this work, but I still say your assuming
>way too much here. Random House or Doubleday (book publisher, not an "
>entertainment industry" as you put it, as the "Hidden fee" supposedly also
>affect the copyrights of books) would have to own stock in Xerox and all
the
>other copier manufactures AND then those companies would have to turn a
>profit AND then pay a dividend. Otherwise the book pubs. would have to sell
>some of the stock at a profit, and then wait till the stock climbed higher
>to sell because now they own less shares.

Nope, even small movement in stock values allows for profit or
negative-based profit(sell short). You have to assume that on the golf
courses executive board members are making deals that aren't released to
the SEC.gov or general public. These 'guys' have insider info. that when
caught, they usually settle out of court for less than the actual profit
gained.
There other ways to 'generate' profit without publically stating profit to
make the appearance of copying originals hurting the 'bottom line'. A
million here, a million there, cost overruns, and shuffling of cash flow
makes an 'entertainment company'(including any fiction publishing co.) look
to the public like it's losing money when in fact the executive boards are
increasing income and over seas revenue. Therefore increasing prices on
blank mediums benefits the manus. and entertainment companies.

>Your argument doesn't hold water.
>Don

It holds turkish coffee, one of the best 'muds' out there, next to the
Kona. :-)

!ooW %-) "Tony Blair's speech." "
Understand the causes of terror. Yes, we should try, but let there be no
moral ambiguity about this: nothing could ever
justify the events of 11 September, and it is to turn justice on its head
to pretend it could."
Pres. of Los Angeles Newton Users Group!