Re: [NTLK] Checking in / iPod Comments...

From: Alexander Schreiber (als_at_thangorodrim.de)
Date: Sat Nov 10 2001 - 08:43:38 EST

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 11:33:01AM +0100, Marco Mailand wrote:

> Gerstein, Sam wrote:
> > Again, if you have poor quality hardware and/or media,
> > you can increase the error rate, which would cause changes in the audio
> > signal, but given the physics of it, I believe it would take a relatively
> > extreme case for that to be audible.
> Exactly, to some point: I borrow from time to time CDs from our library in
> our village. It's clear that those CDs aren't treated very carfully and thus
> you'll get some really scratched discs which sometimes refuse playing in the
> normal CD player. Since I do rip nearly each I've experienced all versions
> of crapped up songs. Sometimes audio extraction is not possible and in worst
> cases I had to left out the one or other song. But as soon as I got the data

What hardware/software do you use for ripping the CDs? I strongly
suggest using a Plextor CD drive (they are very well suited to that
purpose) and cdparanoia as ripping software. I had very good results
with this. Once I ripped two CDs from a friend which looked like they had
been treated with sanding paper - very scratched surface. The CDROM was a 4x
SONY SCSI (got the Plextor later) and cdparanoia worked almost a full
day on each CD - but the result was ok, only 2 songs had audible damage
(one or two audible scratches). My CD player simply refused to play
those CDs. What cdparanioa does is reading the sectors in raw format and
then does a lot of re-reading, comparing and checking for potential
damage. Works pretty fast if the CDs are ok (the Plextor drive happily
extracts perfect CD-Audio at 4x speed), takes almost forever for very
badly damaged CDs - but it _still_ gets you a usable result on them.

> ripped off the disc I was usually done. Finally I offered the library stuff
> to refurbish their CDs but they didn't yet respond on my offer. They would
> have a much easier life if they would give only copies to the public and
> store the originals in a safe place. However, with vinyl records a library

Yes, I never understood why libraries weren't already doing that. Not
everybody borrowing CDs treats the appropriatly, so the library CDs tend
to suffer an extraordinary amount of damage.

Regards,
       Alex.

--
q: If you were young again, would you start writing TeX again or would
   you use Microsoft Word, or another word processor?