Re: [NTLK] Extras folder & 2000 instruction manual

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 13:43:34 EST

on 11/9/01 12:38 PM, Warren Liebmann at warrenl_at_mac.com wrote:

> I am new to this list. I have just got a 2000 but have never used one
> before. I do not have an instruction manual for it. Does any one know
> where I can get hold of one or a PDF of it.
>
> I am also looking for a copy of the extras folder, as it is not on the
> Newton.

You might want to look on UNNA <http://www.unna.org/> for it. I'm not sure
it is there, but I think you have a good chance to find it there.

I don't fully understand your problem with the "Extras". What are you
looking for? Is it that you can't find "Extras" in the status bar?

BTW, if you just got that 2000, did you think about doing a hard reset to
bring it back to its factory defaults? You might have other problems down
the road if you try to use it in the state you did receive it. If you do a
hard reset, the only things that will be missing will be NetHopper and
NewtonWorks. I believe that all other applications are in ROM by default, so
doing a "hard reset" would bring back "Extras" and you would then be able to
access any other apps. You would also come up with a clean internal memory.
Probably only God knows what the previous owner did install and ran on it,
so I would strongly suggest that you perform that "hard reset" before
starting to seriously use it. If you don't know what is a "hard reset",
check the FAQ on Newton Resources <http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/>.

-Laurent.

code monkey n.: 1. A person only capable of grinding out code, but unable to
perform the higher-primate tasks of software architecture, analysis, and
design. Mildly insulting. Often applied to the most junior people on a
programming team. 2. Anyone who writes code for a living; a programmer. 3. A
self-deprecating way of denying responsibility for a management decision, or
of complaining about having to live with such decisions. As in "Don't ask me
why we need to write a compiler in COBOL, I'm just a code monkey."