Re: [NTLK] Newton really the best PDA anymore?

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Nov 09 2001 - 07:30:33 EST

> With the IPAQ ( the newest one ) I am now wondering if the newton is
really the best PDA anymore.
I've seen an iPaq recently for about 15min in a dark irish pub in CH and was
quite impressed with the HWR in PocketWord (?). Only there, as I understood,
one can use a real intelligent HWR which learns your chicken scratch. The
other apps allow entering data only with Graffitti-like or kbd input.
However, the size of the iPaq is nice, the display is very good readable and
it leaves the impression of a solid device. Also the concept of jackets
seems to become very interesting as soon as manufacturers will create more
then the few existing.

> I was going to do an experiment...
Couldn't you try the iPaq in a shop? I've played last week with the Motorola
Accompli w/o SIM card. I could test the SMS writing function and was
completely disappointed: slooooow HWR, 5spc (sec per character, nevertheless
it uses Graffitti! :-(((

> I might even check the IPAQ and see if the newton OS could be ported out
to it....
I fear that something like this is completely unrealistic. You would need to
copy the NOS off the Newton and run a kernel on the iPaq which emulates the
StrongARM or provides a HAL (hardware adaptation layer). For the HAL you
would need hardware informations of both the iPaq and Newton or you would
need at least parts of the NOS source code.

You should probably limit yourself to successfully transfer your Newton data
to iPaq w/o much losses.

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse!

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing