Re: [NTLK] the way this list is going...

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 14:44:50 EST

on 11/8/01 1:44 AM, R Pickett at emerson_at_hayseed.net wrote:

> On Wed, 2001-11-07 at 22:41, David Orriss Jr wrote:
>> Can we put this list back on the subject of the NEWTON please??
>
> I used my Newton to browse the maxim site to look at Jolene Blalock.
> Does that count?

That's good enough to me!!!

-Laurent.

gang bang n.: The use of large numbers of loosely coupled programmers in an
attempt to wedge a great many features into a product in a short time.
Though there have been memorable gang bangs (e.g., that over-the-weekend
assembler port mentioned in Steven Levy's "Hackers"), and large numbers of
loosely-coupled programmers operating in bazaar mode can do very useful work
when they're not on a deadline, most are perpetrated by large companies
trying to meet unrealistic deadlines; the inevitable result is enormous
buggy masses of code entirely lacking in orthogonality. When market-driven
managers make a list of all the features the competition has and assign one
programmer to implement each, the probability of maintaining a coherent (or
even functional) design goes to epsilon. See also firefighting, Mongolian
Hordes technique, Conway's Law.