Re: [NTLK] Syncing: (was: Re: Star Trek Device / Camera)

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Thu Nov 08 2001 - 07:10:49 EST

on 11/7/01 7:00 PM, Bill davis newton at newton_at_mail.ecity.net wrote:

> 1. Price (the Newtons were WAY more expensive)
> 2. Size (it's easier to keep with you always than the Newton)
> 3. Hotsynching

Bingo. I would agree with that assessment. I think that maybe Apple's big
mistake was to think of the Newton as a replacement of the laptop. It was
too much for most people. Not, mind you, that I wasn't pleased with it, but
too many people were too afraid to jump into something new, that they didn't
understand enough about. When the Palm came out, it's price was right, its
ability to quickly and painlessly sync with the desktop (meaning that any
data you got you wouldn't lose) and the price that wouldn't break their bank
if they didn't like it, and that was all she wrote. Now that the Palm has
made the PDA ubiquitous, notice how more expensive palmtops have come out
again. Makes on want to cry. If the Newt came out today, it would probably
sail straight to the top. As it is, I don't think it could make a blip on
the radar if it were re-introduced.

--
Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

'A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader." -- Samuel Adams