Re: [NTLK] Platform crap...

From: David Orriss Jr (dave_at_davenet.net)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 17:52:32 EST

Sort of... I use Windows because I'm productive in it. I don't use a Mac
because.. bluntly.. I can't be productive in it as a software developer for
a global company. I would *like* to use a mac, but until a solid Java 2 VM
is available on it (in General Release - not a beta) it's not useful to
me. Oh sure.. OS/X is nice, but without some basic tools I might as well
get the G4, and put Linux PPC on it... But if I'm going to do that, I
might as well stick to using my P-III based Linux box for work and run
VMware for the few Wintel programs I need to run.

As for my PIII Win2k box it would make a red-hot game machine.... :)

As for my perspective on the Newton - as soon as a platform comes out that
can *truly* replace it, I'll consider it. The Handspring Visor comes
close.. but not close enough when you get right to it.

Even then.. I'll be using my newts for a while... they'd make a great NPDS
server farm... ;)

At 05:00 PM 11/7/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>on 11/7/01 4:46 PM, David Orriss Jr at dave_at_davenet.net wrote:
>
> > At 03:56 PM 11/7/2001 -0500, you wrote:
> >> Isn't what everybody *HERE* is trying to do by continuing to use their
> >> Newton????????
> >
> > Nope. I'm here because I just haven't found anything better.... yet....
>
>Oh! So, those using Windows machine are sticking because they too haven't
>found anything better??? ;-)
>
>-Laurent.
>--
>Laurent Daudelin Developer, Multifamily, ESO, Fannie Mae
>mailto:Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com Washington, DC, USA
>********************** Usual disclaimers apply **********************
>feep /feep/: 1. n. The soft electronic `bell' sound of a display terminal
>(except for a VT-52); a beep (in fact, the microcomputer world seems to
>prefer beep). 2. vi. To cause the display to make a feep sound. ASR-33s (the
>original TTYs) do not feep; they have mechanical bells that ring. Alternate
>forms: beep, `bleep', or just about anything suitably onomatopoeic. (Jeff
>MacNelly, in his comic strip "Shoe", uses the word `eep' for sounds made by
>computer terminals and video games; this is perhaps the closest written
>approximation yet.) The term `breedle' was sometimes heard at SAIL, where
>the terminal bleepers are not particularly soft (they sound more like the
>musical equivalent of a raspberry or Bronx cheer; for a close approximation,
>imagine the sound of a Star Trek communicator's beep lasting for five
>seconds). The `feeper' on a VT-52 has been compared to the sound of a '52
>Chevy stripping its gears.
>

>--

David Orriss Jr.
dave_at_davenet.net
http://www.davenet.net
ICQ UIN: XXXXXX (please ask if you want to talk via ICQ)
Linux - Chicken Soup for the Unix Soul