Re: [NTLK] [ANN] ZLib for NewtonOS 1.0

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 17:22:00 EST

And what's really cool is that IIS5.0 supports this
right out of the box (ir can cause some problems
though if you're not aware of it...all that
compressing and uncompressing can cause file
corruption if the site is heavily hit)
I know on my server I run on on bandwidth of 144kbps,
but I usually can get a throughput of at least
200kbps.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- Steve Weyer <weyer_at_kagi.com> wrote:

> > From: R Pickett <emerson_at_hayseed.net>
> >
> > On Mon, 2001-11-05 at 08:51, Steve Weyer wrote:
> >> is communicating via a compressed http: stream
> (based on Zlib) a feature of
> >> some servers and clients ??
> >
> > Yes. That is, more specifically, the
> Accept-Encoding HTTP request
> > header has valid values that include 'compress'
> and 'gzip' which allow
> > for compressing the data part of the request.
> It's a standard part of
> > HTTP 1.1, and every major browser of the past 2-3
> years supports it.
> > Servers are being a little slower to support it,
> but IIS does as of
> > <some-recent-version>,

<snip>

=====
note: This does not constitute a sig file...