Re: [NTLK] Platform crap...

From: Steven M. Scotten (splicer_at_paroxysm.com)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2001 - 14:55:46 EST

It's also my understanding that NuBus was the system bus, and handled
all I/O on those systems. NuBus is described in its IEEE specification
as a backplane architecture. The SCSI interface was on the motherboard,
and was still choked by the limitations of the horribly outdated
motherboard architecture.

Never mind that Systems 7/8/9 had horrible virtual memory handling and
OS/2 had very good virtual memory handling, and a well-optimized
filesystem.

Granted that if you put enough memory into both of the systems I was
running, the PPC-based computer would have outpaced the pentium on FPU
horsepower alone, but that would have meant dumping like $15,000 into
RAM in those days.

THE POINT which seems to be lost on some others here is that there are
valid reasons to use something other than Apple hardware, and I don't
believe that doing so makes one an idiot. The idiots are the ones who
attach their loyalty to one kind of equipment or to one company and
stick with that even when that company fails to deliver.

It really shows the prejudice of some people on this list, whom I
respected tremendously before this thread, that if I had said that
sometimes using a pen and paper or paint and canvas was the way to get
something accomplished would likeley agree, but as soon as we start
talking about a competitor to the brand they bought, they get all
hissy.

I may as well turn this into a real flame: Loyalty to a corporate
entity is just about the most pathetic trait a human being can exhibit.
Even if I didn't attempt to resist the pull towards corporate loyalty,
I'll be damned if I'm going to work overtime just to avoid touching a
non-Macintosh computer if that non-Macintosh computer has software or
hardware capabilities not available for Mac. Just like I won't avoid
using a Mac in situations where that's appropriate.

I love my Newton, but I don't try to use it as a snow shovel (OK, yeah,
sometimes a BS shovel, but that's different).

Steve