[NTLK] Advise on CDMA cellphones and a Messagepad 2000

From: Matt Wilson (matt_at_gcsl.co.nz)
Date: Mon Nov 05 2001 - 05:42:44 EST

Hi,
Our local Telco has just upgraded it's cellular network to CDMA and is
offering deals on cellphones that can double as an external modem for the
likes of my Newton. Speeds aren't bad (initially 14K4 with much more
promised downtrack) and all I need is a cable which I am trying to get
thrown in for free.

The phones I have been looking at are the Kyocera 2135 & 3035. They tried
to talk me into the one with a palm built in (6035) until I said "sure if
it can recognise text as quickly and easily as my Newton then no problems"
the guy didn't bug me much after a short demo of what a Newton can do.

but I digress ... Has anyone had any experience of Newtons and CDMA phones
Are any phones better than others ? (The makes available here in New
Zealand are Kyocera Hyundai & Samsung.

Oh, I want to use it to send faxes and collect e-mail from my local server
via a NT RAS connection.

Thanks in advance
Matt