Re: [NTLK] Newbie questions

From: Jeroen Goulooze (jeroengoulooze_at_hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 04 2001 - 12:06:24 EST

No connection through infrared AFAIK. The protocols on the Newton are all
old technology.

I heard about someone connecting a Siemens S35i to their emates directly (a
bigger Newton with a keyboard). They could do it using one of the standard
modemscripts (14k4).

You could try with the nokia to do the same.

Email is ok, but if you are planning to read large quantities of mail an
upgrade or a pcmcia card is recomended. No word docs, and only some image
formats if you are using Simple Mail.

If you are planning to do long texts a keyboard is nice to have. Check ebay,
they sometimes sell them there. But the keyboard is not that good (a bit
stiff, noisy).

Jeroen Goulooze

----Original Message Follows----
Hi there folks!

My name is Francis, and I live in Brazil.

I'm thinking about buying a Newton 2000 from someone I know, and I'd=20
like some advice from you:

1 - Is Newton recommended for writing and reading e-mails on the road? I=20=

tried Palm, but that was just too small and unconfortable. People said=20=

wonders about Newton's excellent writing recognition, but is a keyboard=20=

a must for that, and also for writing some texts on the road?

2 - Is there any case of success to connect the Newton to the internet=20=

via infrared and a mobile phone? I've got a Nokia 7160, it probably=20
would work with the cable I have, but I wonder if that can be done via=20=

infrared, as I wanna get rid of the 7160 (way too big) in favour of a=20
3320 (which only got infrared, no cable).

I'd appreciate any comments from you regarding these stuff.

Sincerely yours,

Francis