[NTLK] Reading Palm Books with Newt'sCape?

From: The Compulsive Splicer (splicer_at_paroxysm.com)
Date: Sat Nov 03 2001 - 03:26:29 EST

Hi

I've been through the docs on Steve Weyer's (excellent) site a
half-dozen times, and I still can't wrap my brain around this. Can
someone here help me out with step-by-step instructions that even a
bonehead like me can follow?

So far I've:

1) Installed Newt'sCape (did this a long time ago of course) Version I
have is 2.0z-2(NIE)
2) Installed PilotDoc:NewtsCape (tapping this does nothing) package
using NCU
3) Installed Sloup 2.2 (still unclear on how this helps me do anything....)
4) A palm book in the form of a .pdb file (HTML files too, for that matter)
5) A Windows 2000 Professional-based desktop computer with a serial
connection, a serial cable, and a dongle for my MP2000U->2100, along
with Hyperterminal.

I understand the broad strokes. Somehow I'm supposed to be able to
transfer the Palm Book into Newt via the serial cable using Sloup and
Hyperterminal.

I've tried using Xmodem, Zmodem, and plain text transfer to send the
files, but Sloup returns all sorts of nasty gobbledygook (gobbledygook
== "not a soupname/index:" followed by lots of different stuff). Clearly
I'm unclear on the concept, since I get the same result when I try to
send an HTML file, which is what Sloup is explicitly described for on
the NewtsCape site.

So what is it that I'm supposed to do in order to make NewtsCape read my
PilotDoc files, or even an HTML document I have on my desktop? I feel
REALLY STUPID because everyone else seems to be able to do this stuff
without any difficulty, but it's totally beyond my comprehension.

Help?

Thanks,

Steve