Re: [NTLK] Assorted Questions

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 13:18:15 EST

on 11/2/01 12:05 PM, Mietek at mietek_at_icpnet.pl wrote:

> All,
> My last message has somehow gotten terribly mangled by the list server,
> I'm sorry for that, I think it was my ISO-Latin-2 encoding, fixed now.
>
> So, I repeat my most important question:
> Is it still a good idea to buy a Newton now, or should I interest myself=
>
> in other PDA's=3F
> And is 200-250 UK Pounds a reasonable offer for an used MP2100=3F

There is nothing out there that should really be called a "PDA", except the
Newton. The other offerings are basically organizers on steroids (Palm) or
shrunk-to-fit mini-computers (PocketPC). Nothing comes close to the Newton.
So, I would say yes, the 2100 is still the best alternative.

200-250 UK Pounds is a bit expensive for a 2100 these days, unless the unit
comes with a lot of accessories. For that price, you should expect to get an
Ethernet card, a 16MB flash RAM card, an interconnect port adaptor (dongle),
a leather case, a keyboard and a couple of good rechargeable packs.

-Laurent.

finger-pointing syndrome n.: All-too-frequent result of bugs, esp. in new or
experimental configurations. The hardware vendor points a finger at the
software. The software vendor points a finger at the hardware. All the poor
users get is the finger.