Re: [NTLK] Wireless + TCP/IP (www)

From: Brian (bmcewen_at_mediaone.net)
Date: Fri Nov 02 2001 - 12:46:02 EST

>I need a solution to connect 100 Newtons (MP130 - OS 2.0, maybe some
>with SO 1.x) using wireless with a Mac. Using Airport or anything else!!

I hope this is just the private thinking stages of the project, as:

-there is no airport or similar wireless ethernet card for the messagepad,
any version.
-MP130's can not do ethernet anyway, which such a card would likely need
(via NIE)
-OS 1.x newton's can't even do PPP
-MP120's 2.0 can barely do PPP, it's likely not worth messing with for any
"real" purposes- if you are very dedicated you can send email only, not
receive)
-the "wireless" stuff for the MP is, in the US, mostly gone- ie, the
all-in-one cell-phone based cards, the only ones I knew about were a
special carrier that went under. There might be replacements, by now. Or
"real" cell phones with data cables would still work. Or you might have
something in .br that would work (no idea).

Depending on what you want to do, you could:

-get a bunch of the "IBM wireless Data connecter" (?Cordless connector"?)
(not quite the right name, and they are not made anymore, I tried for a
while to find one on ebay)- basically it was a handset for a cordless phone
that you could hook to your serial port and use like a modem (PPP)
connection. But that would mean, 100 of these units, each with a phone
line, and you'd be limited in range to what a cordless (house) phone could
achieve about 5 years ago. Plus you'd need additional hardware capable of
providing up to 100 simultaneous PPP dialups...

-get everyone a cell phone plus data cable, and make (at least one) dialup
PPP somewhere for them to use...if the 100 people already have a cell phone
then you could just be looking at 100 serial cables for those phones...

Sorry the news is not good..