Re: [NTLK] USB to dongle. (was Smaller form factor for a newton )

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 15:46:12 EST

on 11/1/01 3:22 PM, Pascal Mass=FCn at pascal.massun_at_skynet.be wrote:

> Laurent,
>=20
> While bathing I guessed that we could have a definition problem here.
>=20
> What I call "dongle" is that little black connector that goes into the
> Newton. Connector that gives me the possibility to connect to the Newton
> through a, how's it called din ? PS2 ? connection.
> On my WindowsPC I now have a cable serial (9 pin) to such a connector. As=
 my
> Titanium only has USB ports I'm looking for a similar cable that goes fro=
> USB to that din? PS2 type connector.

The standard connector is a "DIN-8" round connector. That connector would g=
in the round jack of your "dongle", or the "interconnect adaptor", which, i=
turn, plugs into the MP2x00. Now, you *CAN'T* have a USB to DIN-8 connector
because those connectors (USB and DIN-8) have a specific purpose as they
represent a specific interface. The USB connector is obviously associated
with the USB interface, while the DIN-8, although not as closely associated
with a specific interface, like USB, usually represents some sort of serial
connection. The problem here is that your Titanium, from its USB port, want=
to talk "USB", while the "dongle", plugged in your MP2x00, expect to hear
someone talking some serial protocol. Although USB stands for "Universal
Serial Bus", it cannot talks any common serial protocol like RS-232 or
RS-422 that a DIN-8 would suggest. Therefore, a very long explanation only
to say that you need some kind of "translator" to make USB talks to
RS-something. So, you won't be able to find a USB to DIN-8 cable, but a
little box with some USB ports on one side and DIN-8 ports on the other
side, known as a USB-to-Serial adaptor, like the Keyspan's one. Now, if you
have to buy this, you would be better off, for a lot cheaper, buying an
Ethernet card for your Newton, that you could probably find for around $20,
while a USB-to-Serial adaptor will get you in the $70 neighborhood. You
would have to add an Ethernet cable to connect your Newton to your Titanium
(no need to get a "crossover" cable anymore since the Ethernet port on the
Titanium can "sense" that it's connected directly to another device, not to
an Ethernet hub or switch).

The added benefit of going Ethernet would be speed well over 10 times faste=
than what you could expect from a USB-to-serial connection...

-Laurent.
--=20
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Laurent Daudelin Developer, Multifamily, ESO, Fannie Mae
mailto:Laurent_Daudelin_at_fanniemae.com Washington, DC, USA
field servoid [play on `android'] /fee'ld ser'voyd/ n.: Representative of a
field service organization (see field circus). This has many of the
implications of droid.=20