Re: [NTLK] memory related question

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Thu Nov 01 2001 - 12:24:14 EST

on 11/1/01 9:47 AM, good-dog_at_northshore.net at good-dog_at_northshore.net
wrote:

> Folks;
>
> This may be elementary to many, but I'm just running into this right
> now. With all the cool apps that I've loaded onto my uMP2K, I've
> gotten some memory messages that indicate I might be running out of room.
>
> Can anyone direct me to an FAQ or answer this question?
>
> If you've got Dashboard, Hypernewt, Voicenotes, etc. loaded onto the
> newt, by adding a memory card into the newt, do you automatically get
> more memory to run all installed apps?

No, you don't. The internal memory that is set aside as "heap" (on a
conventional computer) is immutable and is the result of some algorithm (or
maybe it's a fixed size given the total amount of internal memory. It
doesn't take your external memory into account. Imagine you have a few
applications running and all of a sudden, you decide you need to remove that
32 MB flash RAM card. That wouldn't be very good for the system and the
running apps.

Actually, loading more and more packages through external flash RAM cards
actually reduces the amount of "heap" available for running application
since the OS needs to keep track of any loaded package. This is not the case
if you freeze the application, which is then considered uninstalled.

-Laurent.

Finagle's Law n.: The generalized or `folk' version of Murphy's Law, fully
named "Finagle's Law of Dynamic Negatives" and usually rendered "Anything
that can go wrong, will". May have been first published by Francis P.
Chisholm in his 1963 essay "The Chisholm Effect", later reprinted in the
classic anthology "A Stress Analysis Of A Strapless Evening Gown: And Other
Essays For A Scientific Eye" (Robert Baker ed, Prentice-Hall, ISBN
0-13-852608-7).