[NTLK] Newted Community? -- The ftp area is a mess (sorry)

From: Felix Arndt (F.Arndt_at_GMX.net)
Date: Sun Jun 24 2001 - 11:51:09 PDT

Hi,

I've been looking into the ftp area of Newted Community --
http://newted.dyndns.org/ftp/Newton/
-- and I have to say it:

      It's much less than cleverly built.
      I'd even doubt that person's knowledge, at least Mac-wise.

Why? -- Because it looks like someone's copied Mac disk contents onto PC
disks to "put them on the web", just as if PC Exchange's is the most
convenient way to go even on the web...
"RESOURCE.FRK" folders all over...???
And then? Join the two forks using some kind of utility?
Shame, we don't have Macs for inconvenient stuff like that.

Why not make either a) Images of the disks (with DiskCopy/ShrinkWrap)
or b) Stuff them with StuffIt (on a Mac, that is)?
MacBinary would also work, Binhexing is unnecessary, since it will be
transferred binary. But the above possibilities also pack, so they minimize
transfer time.

Plus this: I downloaded three very heavy .img files, hoping they'd be valid
DiskCopy Images, but DC choked on them, so that about 30 minutes I waited
(using Interarchy trying to speed things up) were in vain...

If somebody else is taking over that server, it is a very good opportunity
to tidy things up a lot. (If possible.)

I hoped I didn't put you off, but that put *me* off!

Regards to y'all!

Felix

--
Macintosh PowerBook -- the power to save the world!
(as seen in the movie "independence day")