Re: [NTLK] ATA News (was: Re: Dreaming of the ATA driver....)

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin_at_fanniemae.com)
Date: Fri Jun 22 2001 - 10:40:01 PDT

On Friday, June 22, 2001, at 12:03 PM, Paul Guyot wrote:
[snip!]
> Also, some features will be for 1.x releases (such as access to FAT
> partitions - I gave up HFS support as having HFS partitions on ATA
> cards is very unlikely), or things that are noted as *maybe* in the
> previous to-do list.
[snip!]

Paul,

Why giving up on HFS partition support? Suppose I have a PowerBook and
initialize an ATA card in it. It certainly would be nice if I could
access the HFS partition from the Newton, if this is at all possible. If
the HFS partition was seen as a regular Newton store, then we could
bypass NCU or any other utility completely for package installation.
Plus, if somebody ever comes with a data browser/backup utility, able to
read the data in the Newton, then this app, running on a desktop, could
be able to access the data directly from the ATA card (probably with
some modifications). That would be great if you break your Newton and
want to access your data.

Sure, there are a lot of "if". Like we say in Quebec (and maybe in
France, I don't know) "Avec des si, on mets Paris dans une bouteille."...

-Laurent.