Re: [NTLK] Working SER-001

From: Richard G. DAVIS (msys1_at_charter.net)
Date: Thu Jun 21 2001 - 10:27:56 PDT

on 6/21/01 12:29 PM, James Bradt at bradtwurst_at_bigfoot.com wrote:

> I also had the SER-001 package waiting for me when I arrived home yesterday.
>
> Such good things come from small packages.
>
> The board is cleanly and professionally created.
>
> The installation was straight forward and, if it wasn't for the euphoria of
> trying out my new geek stuff, I could'a swore that the keyboard was more
> responsive :)
>
> The only -slight- problem that I can see is that the board ever-so-slightly
> pushes out the back of the newton case. Not a lot - just enough to notice
> if you look closely.

Yes, I noticed that as well. I was interested to see that the instructions
indicated that the two mounting screws are not needed. I was concerned
since with the screws missing, the force of insertion and removal of the
DIN-8 plug would be placed directly on the plug that joins the SER-001 to
the main board.

I was prepared to put in two screws anyway, then I noticed that the plug
that mates the SER-001 to the Main Board prevents the SER-001 board from
becoming flush against the posts intended for the mounting screws. So I did
not fasten the SER-001 board with screws after all.

At that point I was worried about the back case being unable to clear the
SER-001. After I re-assembled the unit, it was clear that the SER-001 is
too high off the mother board, and the Newton case is distorted. Not much,
but that stress, over time, can eventually provoke a failure in the plastic
of the back cover plate. ...sigh, it is not a perfect world. Hopefully,
that will come some long time in the future. It is just that I have had
other electronic devices, both PC and Mac laptops fail in the same way due
to persistent stresses on the plastic cases. So, just be alert for any
signs of stress in the back case over the SER-001.

Nonetheless, I am very impressed with the product, and appreciate the
convenience it offers. Now, am I going to put the other SER-001 into my
second MP-200???

Good Show! David!

Regards,

Richard.