[NTLK] HELP-Emate Upgrade

From: Manfred Mortera (mmortera_at_netpci.com)
Date: Wed Jul 25 2001 - 19:52:56 EDT

I tried to install a microtech upgrade for the emate 300, but things seem to
have gone bad. After installation all I get is a the backlight blinking
about three times per second. I've tried reseting the emate, reseating the
card, and re-reading the directions. No luck I get the same results in TWO
different emates.

I live on a little island in the pacific, so static electricity is usually
not a problem. I did, however, take the proper precautions: static mat,
wrist strap, etc. I do have some technical ability, having worked in the
computer/electronic imaging field for the last 10 years or so, and am quite
comfortable doing simple upgrades like cards, hd's, and RAM.

I've contacted the reseller who directed me to their website for their RMA
procedure. Seeing how difficult it is to find these little buggers, I'm not
really interested in a refund. Do any of you recognize these symptoms? Is
the card truly *dead* or have I missed something in the installation
procedure? I'd like to exhaust my resources before going for the refund
route. Thanks, all!

A little about me: I've been lurking for a while, but this is my first post.
I was an early adopter of the Newton technology, having started out with a
MessagePad 100 a few months after it's introduction. I loved it, and
actually adapted well enough to use it for note taking in college. I
upgraded to a 110, then a 120, and for years, used a 130. A couple of years
ago, I cracked my screen, got distracted by a million other things and
effectively ended my love affair with the Newt.

A few months ago, I really started to miss my messagepad. Strongly
considered a Palm, or another 130, but finally settled on an emate. Having
perused a lot of the literature on the newt, particularly the emate, I
formulated grand dreams of a fat emate with a 3COM modem, connected to my
Nokia 5120 via a NOK6 cable; happily surfing the net... anywhere. I fell in
love all over, again. Well, reality bites. While I am using the emate as
least as often as my old newt (more actually) I'm still trying to "make my
dreams come true." So I'd welcome any advice from anyone out there who might
have the same or similar setup. Thanks again.