[NTLK] So much for presumed obsolescence

From: Ivan T. Shaw (ishaw_at_sympatico.ca)
Date: Sat Jul 21 2001 - 11:34:38 EDT

I have just used an Ethernet-equipped MP2100 to save a friend's
professional gluteus maximus.

Situation: small office environment which just upgraded from ARCnet(!) to
802.11b; Internet access being provided by Bell Canada's HSE for Business
ADSL service using a SMC Wireless Barricade. Inexpensive solution for a
peer LAN with a minimum of upkeep.

Problem: 128-bit WEP and customized comm settings are implemented on the
Barricade without writing down what these new settings are. Clients
automatically lose connection since they don't carry the appropriate
configurations or keys. No machines have wire-based Ethernet so no method
within the office to connect to the Barricade.

Solution: MP2100 + NewtsCape to configure the Barricade's web-based
configurator.

The "IT guy" hired turns out to be the nephew of one of the workers, who
did the old "I read it on .... so it must work" routine. Got some derisive
remarks about using a Newton (because it's not a Palm) until Newtscape
connected over Ethernet and permitted us to obtain the WEP information.
Definitely an interesting 10 minutes of my time.

--
Ivan T. Shaw, PhD
http://www3.sympatico.ca/ishaw