[NTLK] Internet Movie Database July update

From: Tom Sheppard (TSheppard_at_home.com)
Date: Sun Jul 08 2001 - 12:05:12 EDT

Greetings PDA and movie buffs,

------
Newton:
------

The July 2001 updates for the Newton ebooks are now available:

All data is current as of 2001-07-05.

The ebooks with movies from the last 24 months and last 16 weeks are
updated. These books are updated weekly (check Mondays) but I announce only
once a month.

<http://www.magma.ca/~sheppard/IMDb/Newton.html>

----
Palm:
----

There have been no changes to the PQA. See below for a change to the server. This should not affect PQA users.

<http://www.magma.ca/~sheppard/IMDb/Palm.html>

It's 6 months since the IMDb folks said they'd be providing their own web site for handhelds. If you're wondering why I'm not adding new features and am just maintaining the server, that's one of the reasons why. Let's hope they finish up soon.

In my last message I said, "The IMDb PQA made it to the Cannes film festival! I'm still waiting for some rich movie mogul to find the tool indispensable and fund further development, or at least give me a bit part in the next Terminator 3 movie. <http://us.imdb.com/Title?0181852>"

I heard back from a casting director (Hi M.!) who asked if I was an actor and if I would submit a photo and resume. Needless to say, I was very flattered, especially after checking out her impressive credits on the IMDb. Darn, if only I was an actor. Well, maybe I can be the first person to get killed off in the movie by the next Terminator. ;-)

For users of the Web interface, I had to enhance my bozo filter to exclude ranges of IP addresses when I found one person who was making hundreds of queries as fast as possible from a Windows NT box. This person also formed their own query strings, which at times were full of bugs. This is in clear violation of the Terms of Use of the site, which is intended for handheld browsers, not desktops.

Since the user was being assigned a dynamic IP address, I had to add subnet filtering and block a large range of addresses. This might affect other users who behave properly but, unless I move to a login method, that's the only way. Let me know if you are being incorrectly filtered out.

<http://www.magma.ca/~sheppard/IMDb/Web/>

Enjoy,

...Tom