Re: [NTLK] Travelling with the Newton for the first time

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 11:26:50 EDT

somewhere near the temporal coordinates of 7/3/01 4:41 PM, the entity known
as Bill davis newton transmitted the following from newton_at_mail.ecity.net:

> There's no "in case" about it in my experience ; they WILL want you to
> start them up (they always have for me, though I haven't flown for about
> 3 years.)

I think this is a classic YMMV case. I've NEVER had anyone ask me to start
up my devices. When I first got my Duo (several years ago) I used to put it
to sleep on the bus ride from parking to the terminal. But since I've never
been asked about it, I just leave it off.

The rest of that post was some good advice on theft prevention. Never heard
of this proximity alarm thing though.

BTW, one more piece of advice... The ONLY time I've had security ask me to
open my bag was with my garment bag. Seems my electric razor had nestled up
to my wind-up alarm clock, which apparently looked quite interesting on the
x-ray. :-) I keep those things in pockets on opposite sides of the garment
bag now!

- Eric.