Re: [NTLK] Travelling with the Newton for the first time

From: Bill davis newton (newton_at_mail.ecity.net)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 16:41:37 EDT

> But since this will be my first extended trip with either one, I
> could use some advice and tips. Anything to be especially aware of,
> aside from the obvious "Don't let it (them) out of your sight" and
> "Keep the PowerBook in 'sleep' in case they want you to start it up."

There's no "in case" about it in my experience ; they WILL want you to
start them up (they always have for me, though I haven't flown for about
3 years.) And "don't let it out of your sight" is VERY good advice.
Better advise is "don't let them out of your hands". Also make sure you
go thru the metal detectors when there isn't a large crowd; hang back if
you can/have to. Also helps to make sure there aren't any large heavy
bags in front or especially BEHIND your laptopback, so that it doesn't
get crushed as it the large heavy back behind yours slides down on top
of your bag in the hopper at the far end of the x-ray machine.

Try not to have anything on you that will hold YOU up in going thru the
metal detectors, either (large metal belt buckle, whatever)

> I'm worried about their fragility: in the x-ray machines, on the
> flights, banging around in their respective cases, out in the hot sun
> on the streets of NYC in the summertime, etc.

Get a good padded case. Don't put too much in it; it has to go under
your airplane seat. Do NOT check the bag with the computer, even if
you've got a solid metal carrying case. And do NOT put it in the
overhead bin. I've seen too many bins pop open and even bags fly out
during flight. Especially at landing or takeoff. Or bad weather. Put
it UNDER your seat.

Make sure it doesn't look too much like a laptop case; remove any
obvious indicators that it holds a laptop (like a computer company logo,
otherwise known as a "steal me" icon.)

Get a bag with a shoulder strap and USE IT. Don't put the bag down, or
if you have to, put it BETWEEN your feet, not beside you.

Bear in mind, though, that since you'll probably have to start it up for
the folks at the metal detector, that people are going to KNOW it's a
laptop bag.

You might want to invest in a proxmity alarm that will go off if the bag
gets too far from you.

Make backups. To CD-R if possible, and make at least 2 sets; one to
take with you, one to leave at home. Take all necessary installer
disks and serial numbers, including OS installers and applications, in
case you have to reinstall software. Take the necessary screwdriver(s)
to open your laptop in case you have to replace the hard disk while
you're travelling.

Have spare power cords/batteries for all units that need them. You can
pack those in your luggage unless you may need them during the flight
should the main set fail.

Does all the above sound too paranoid? It shouldn't; my laptop
bag/briefcase has a PowerBook, a Newton, a digital camera, assorted
PowerBook bay drives and batteries, etc, maybe a cellphone, software
CD's, etc. Lotsa money in there!

 - Bill

P.S. if you're traveling with someone named Jack, and they meet you on
the plane, try not to yell "Hi, Jack!" or even "Hey, Jack!" when you
see them....especially if you are near the cockpit when they have the
door open and the radio active during boarding.

If your computer happens to crash, try to avoid using the term "bomb" or
"bomb box". Even "crash" isn't a good term to use on a plane. Otherwise
YOU are the one who may experience a "lock up". And your PDA may meet
the FBI.