Re: [NTLK] Travelling with the Newton for the first time

From: Larry Zasitko (l.zasitko_at_sk.sympatico.ca)
Date: Tue Jul 03 2001 - 12:16:04 EDT

I can't help too much with the powerbook (I don't have one). I generally
travel with the Newton and a Toshiba portable, the Toshiba is in a case that
also holds all my documents etc. The portable is turned off if I am not
using it as battery life sucks (sic) if it is even in sleep mode. With the
newton I always have mine in a ripoff case on my belt. If I am in areas
where I am concerned I can keep my hand on the top of it, I generally wear
dark pants anyways so it does not show really well. I have never had a
problem going through airports but I ask to have them hand inspected so it
does not go through the x-ray machines. I generally trave with at lest one
of my camera systems and I do the same thing. The case for the portable is a
Targus leather bag that I bought for around $300.00CDN a few years ago and
is still in great shape. My Newton is always in the Ripoff case when I am
not using it, both the Targus and the Ripoff cases are padded with high
density foam. I have dropped the Newton a couple of times while in the case
and it has come through with no damage. The only thing that I have found
with the newton is using while in very bright sun the screen will darken a
lot but again this seems to ba a temporary effect and does not last once it
is out of direct sun.

Larry Zasitko