[NTLK] Issues with the SER-001

From: Sean Luke (seanl_at_cs.umd.edu)
Date: Sun Jul 01 2001 - 10:09:44 EDT

My SER-001 arrived in the mail yesterday, and I promptly installed
it. It's a professional device, but it does appear to have two problems
-- has anyone else experienced these:

1. It doesn't quite fit, resulting in the back of the MP2K being slightly
bowed out when you you put the screws back in. You can see this effect by
looking straight at the serial and interconnect ports, and see a crack
which widens as the back of the Newton meets the port. I also identified
what appears to be a design flaw. The small chip on the board presses
against a 100MHz crystal in the Newton. If it had been moved jist a half
cenimeter to the side, the board would fit much better.

2. The keyboard isn't recognized!! WHen you plug the keyboard into the
interconnect port, the Newton automatically recognizes it and allows you
to type. Not so the SER-001, where if you plug the keyboard in, nothing
happens. What's interesting is that *after* you have gotten the Newt to
recognize the keybard via the interconnect port, you can then plug it into
the SER-001 and type away. Turn off the Newton for a long period, or
reboot it, and you won't be able to use the keyboard via the SER-001
again.

Anyone know how the Newton automagically recognizes the keyboard? Do we
need to make a modification of the board to get it to work? Otherwise the
SER-001 is quite a nice device. It's frustrating to have such a close
near-miss.

Sean