Re: [NTLK] Re - my newton's got high fever

From: NDCHEG1_at_aol.com
Date: Mon Dec 24 2001 - 10:51:31 EST

In a message dated 12/24/01 2:45:08 AM, newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net writes:

<< Not being a native speaker, I can only guess that you mean battery voltage
(tension to the best of my knowledge is a mechanical thing). If you do in
fact mean voltage, you are mistaken. The temparature is not a function of the
voltage. If you charge, though, the temperature is a function of the charge
state, but that's another story. The MP2K and eMate have a built-in
temperature sensor (a kind of resistor)
in the packs, I guess this is what is used to sense the temperature. In case
this
temperature things works with the standard battery tray, too, on the MP2K,
there must be another temperature sensor in this machine. >>

Well, I may be totally wrong here in reference to the Newt's temp. Someone
correct me if they know differently. I have an MP2100, so mine doesn't have
the fun little temp. indicator, but I do know a thing or two about measuring
temperature. I'm a Chem Eng. and we use RTD's in production plant processes
all the time. (It's a bit different than the thermocouples that people maybe
more familiar with. I don't want to get into the semantics of how or why,
that's totally off topic.) Basic reader's digest version, you measure
resistance through a calibrated probe. As temp. of probe changes, rsistance
changes. It's very linear and reproducible so it's a very reliable and
accurate way to measure temp. Resistance is so simple to measure, that I
imagine this is how Apple designed the Newt's temp. indicator. Rarely do you
get a failure, BUT, when they do fail, they normally fail high or low end of
scale. Or if a software program is sophisticated enough, it will read that
failure and output a default value, which basically indicates to the
troubleshooter that it has failed since he likely knows what that default is
supposed to be.

Going back to the initial question, I imagine that the Newt's ok, and the
temp. probe has just failed somewhere. This seems to be supported by both
external and interanl temp's being the same, and such an odd value (although
the 32 C temp doesn't seem to me to be a high end of scale.) I can't imagine
a Newt having a beefy RTD in it, so it's likely more fragile than what I'm
familiar with, and more likely to a failure after years of use. Leave the
Newt off for a while, turn it on, and watch the temp. It should change as
the Newton operates and warms up. If it stays flat-lined, I'd say it's just
a bad temp. probe, and no need to worry about the Newt. Also check owners
manual and see if there's any notes on what it would the indicator would be
after a failure.

Hope this helps a bit, if not I've just initiated everyone to
"Instrumentation 101" for nothing. Now who wants to discuss pressure
transmitters and coriolis mass flow meters!
JDD