[NTLK] ATA Support 1.0b11 warning & log version

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Thu Dec 20 2001 - 17:55:03 EST

Hi all,

This is a warning about ATA Support. Under some circumstances,
although I cannot reproduce it, the Newton fails to mount a linear
card in your Newton with ATA Support 1.0b11 and offers to erase it.
DO NOT tap erase, or you will lose you data.

Maybe it's time to remind you that ATA Support is an attempt to hack
into the system something that is not planned at all, and even if I
do my best, there might be bugs like this one left.

Could anyone describe me what kind of error the Newton did to justify
that the linear card has to be erased?

Also, (this won't help for the linear card erase problem), I built a
log version of the software available here:
ftp://ftp.kallisys.com/newton/ata/ATA-Support-1.0b11-log.pkg

I have tried the version from my FTP server with the two ATA cards
and I don't have any of the problem described here. I wonder where it
comes from, so please:

(a) if you do not have the problem, please mention it
(b) if you have the problem, please generate a log with the log version.
(c) if you have the problem but your card used to work with a
previous version, please format your card with this earlier version
and then install and try 1.0b11a. Please report the result.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Paul

--