Re: [NTLK] Humor for the holidays

From: Samuel Jacobson (jacobson98_at_earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Dec 19 2001 - 17:04:18 EST

Hello,

  Actually this was my auction, and my first one at that. I really felt bad
about how the text turned out as I had spent a lot of time formatting it
before I posted the auction as I had the express intent of trying to make
it not only 100% accurate and thorough (too much the scientist I suppose)
but readable. I fully agree that it turned out horrible!!! I was very
dismayed with the result, and I do apologize. I wrote eBay in order to find
out how to correct this, and hopefully will do much better if I sell again.

  I do not know if there have been any Newsgroup Posts about the auction
other than the its associated text, but I wanted to express further
apologies in regards to listing this near Christmas. I had no intention of
linking it in any way to the Holidays, as this just happened to be the time
I was trying to get my money back from my eMate expenditures (See below).
Specifically I am trying to save money for an personal, educational seminar
I would like to attend, and being a full-time student money for these types
of activities are not easy to come by. If I had thought that people would
have linked it to the Holidays I would have waited until January as the
seminary is not until February.

  In regards to the price I put a lot of thought into what I was going to
ask (and, of course, no one has to bid if they do not want to). As I noted
in the auction I paid:

1). $550 for a non-new upgraded eMate (and keep in mind the auction is for
a new (NOS) unit)
2). $80 for the 2-MB DRAM upgrade
3). $30 for replacing stripped TORX screws (which I replaced with easier to
use philips screws)
4). $5 for a screen protector

  Total: $665. And this is before the 8-MB Flash card (at least worth $80),
unused serial cable, extra eMate stylus, and Connectivity CD that comes
with the unit.

  My initial reserve was for $699, thus I was making a whole $50 (not
unreasonable due to the extras that come with the unit). I then received
some rather harsh messages, which I admit I found rather hurtful as I was
only asking mainly for the money I put into an eMate (originally a non-new
unit at that!!!), and I lowered my reserve to $650 which meant to myself
that I was/am going to loose money. I still do not think I was unjustified
in my pricing, especially for what I was offering.

  I did not offer this unit to the Newton Newsgroup as, for at least one
reason, the person I bought the unit from has sold through the group (I
think) and I was not trying to take business away from him.

  Through this whole experience I have obviously had too thin of skin (not
from the post here I am responding to, but from others) as I have been
rather hurt by what others have said. I apologized in the auction and, even
though I need the money, I wish I could terminate the auction all together
(seemed fair to all and me if people were so against the sale). If someone
buys it, again for what I still feel is reasonable a price, so be it as I
do not think I am taking advantage of. If not...

  Yet I also extend my apologies to the Newton Newsgroup as I did not mean
to insult anyone.

Respectfully,

Sam

Always remember, "Ad astra per aspera"...

email:
      jacobson98_at_earthlink.net
      or
      sjacobso_at_chuma.cas.usf.edu

Lab. Telephone (via Dr. Susan Bell): 813-974-5420

SnailMail:
     Department of Biology
     University of South Florida
     SCA 110