Re: [NTLK] Liber Umbrarum

From: Michael Hurley (mephit_stophilis_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Dec 15 2001 - 01:33:21 EST

>As in the "The Wicker Man" a cult classic film

Well, kinda, sorta, in a roundabout way. "The Wicker Man" was loosely
based on Roman accounts of a Celtic renewal rite where a large effigy
of a man made of woven sticks was burned in sacrifice. Some of the
reports talked of people being burned inside the wicker man, though
it has nover (To my knowledge) been substantiated. Wicca as a
religion is based on the Celtic and Pictish animistic beliefs as the
Romans and others reported them. There are almost no first-hand
accounts from the Celts themselves, as only a few tribes had any
written language at all before the Christianizing of the Roman Empire
(Of which the Celts were a part) and even those that did only used it
for ritualistic purposes.

--

Auf wiedersehen!

_____________________________________________________________ "..Um..Something strange happened to me this morning."

"Was it a dream where you see yourself standing in sort of Sun God robes on a pyramid with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?"

"..No."

"Why am I the only person that has that dream?" -Real Genius