Re: [NTLK] MP2100 clock losing time

From: Laurent Daudelin (nemesys_at_cox.rr.com)
Date: Wed Dec 12 2001 - 23:00:00 EST

on 12/12/01 22:47, Victor Rehorst at victor_at_newtontalk.net wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Russ Gorman wrote:
>
>> My wife's MP 2100 just came back for the third time from apple repair.
>> We originally sent it in to fix a broken case/latch and each time we got
>> it back it would work for one week then go completely dead. After trying
>> resets,removal of power etc. we finally end up sending it back.
>> This time it came back and is still working two weeks later but the clock
>> no longer keeps time- any suggestions?
>
> This happens when Apple replaces the system board but doesn't do the
> factory calibrations necessary for it to function properly. They messed
> up.

Yep, I can confirm. I had the same problem once, after receiving my Newton
from Apple for a repair. Had to send it back :-/

-Laurent.

creationism n.: The (false) belief that large, innovative software designs can be completely specified in advance and then painlessly magicked out of the void by the normal efforts of a team of normally talented programmers. In fact, experience has shown repeatedly that good designs arise only from evolutionary, exploratory interaction between one (or at most a small handful of) exceptionally able designer(s) and an active user population -- and that the first try at a big new idea is always wrong. Unfortunately, because these truths don't fit the planning models beloved of management, they are generally ignored.