Re: [NTLK] PDF

From: Eric L. Strobel (fyzycyst_at_home.com)
Date: Fri Aug 31 2001 - 11:17:27 EDT

at the temporal coordinates: 8/31/01 11:07 AM, the entity known as Laurent
Domenech at laurent_at_opalis.com conveyed the following:

> Do you think then that I'd rather create a PDF to NewtonBook utility?
>
> I totally agree with Chris on all points, my idea being to provide the
> simplest and quickest solution. I think that if there's more than one or two
> steps involved, then it's not worth it.
>
> Now, the size of the PDF files is a major factor for deciding on a solution.
> Do all users have additional storage cards to store the files they want to
> read?

Well, I've got an 8 MB card on my MP130 and it's still got a fair amount of
space on it. Of course, it may be that the PDF reader will only be workable
on the MP2k's, which is why I favor something more like a truly competent
PDF to NewtonBook utility. Besides, on a desktop machine you can build in
more smarts, such as cleverly converting graphics into b/w images.

As far as the size of the files, I think that everyone is likely
anticipating the success of the ATA card development work, which would
certainly solve the storage problem.

- Eric.