[NTLK] FilePad - Don't let it be another case of abandonware/vaporware

From: C.W. Otto Sohn (oky_at_avalon.net)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 21:28:40 EDT

I'm in a pretty bad mood.

This is a list of almost 1100 adult people. I think there should be a few
people on this list who care about "rescuing" Newton software.

BUT: So far nobody seems to be interested in trying to rescue FilePad.

To say it again: I've done my share the last couple of months finding the
autors of a variety of Newton apps: eBase, Bee-one, and Clarity. These
titles are now all available for free to the Newton community. This is the
generosity of the developers, I know; but without someone asking them for
this favor it would not have happened. Sure, there are exceptions, like for
example Jack Starmer or Adam Tow who released their software as freeware,
and even included the source code. But, let's be honest: These people are
rare exceptions. Most programmers and software companies don't do that on
their own. They need someone to remind them what marvellous pieces of
software they once developed or distributed.

This is where people from the list could/should come in. DO remind them,
and DO ask them politely if they are willing to release their software as
freeware. Do not just sit there and wait for someone to do everything for
you.

If you want FilePad, go ahead and track down what became of Everchanging
and its president John Anderson, track down HCC to see if they have an
address for John Anderson from the time when he took over FilePad from them.

[You may try it the "dirty" way and just swap your copies of software on
and off the list (I've done that too), but how much better would it feel
for both the developer to be recognized for his efforts and his generosity
and the Newton users who can now use that software with a clear conscience?]

Come on, guys and gals, I've got a new job with tons of new
responsibilities, lots of overtime, and I don't have the time for the next
couple of months to seriously investigate abandonware. May someone else try
it for a while.

Please, volunteer and report about your investigation to the list so
everybody is informed.

Otto

P.S.: If you feel like sending me a flaming reply, do it on the list but
include me in the "Cc:" field -- I'm on the digest.