Re: [NTLK] Tibet cameras?

From: Mark Rollins (mark_at_mrollins.com)
Date: Wed Aug 29 2001 - 08:22:56 EDT

Subject: Re: [NTLK] Tibet cameras?
From: Ken Whitcomb <ken_at_imageguild.com>
--snip--
>Olympus D-300L, D320-L, D-340R, Camedia C-400, Camedia C800L, Camedia C1000L

Add Olympus D360L - same form factor as the 320 & 340, but more
features. I think this is in the FAQs.

>And while someone once claimed that the Connectix Grayscale Quickcam works
>with Tibet, I have tested it extensively and can report that it definitely
>does not work. The connector does plug in to the Newton but that's as
far as
--snip--

This rumor may have started as there was a website (and I can't remember
exactly, I think it was the person who developed the Newt screensaver
"Lava") where someone was trying to get serial devices such as the
QuickCam and the old Apple QuickTake cameras working with an MP2000.

Also the author of RemoteCam looked in to this as well.
http://www.int.gu.edu.au/MICTR/mobile/equipment.html

I did find this obscure reference to some people trying to do this as well:
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/fce/archives/cyberguide/0250.html

Newton Developer Information wrote:

> Hi Ed,
>
> Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you, but I have
> been working on an answer for you.
>
> First of all, the MP 120 and MP 130 hardware do not support
> the high speed synchronous protocol necessary to communicate
> with a QuickCam. The MessagePad 2000 and the eMate might
> support such a feature if the software was written but it
> has not been tested. This would not be an easy thing to do
> even if the tools necessary to do this low level work were
> generally available, which they are not. If you were seeded
> with the tools, you would not receive technical support.
>
> To date, the Comm Tools driver development kit has only been
> seeded to Newton platform licensees due to its support-intensive
> nature, and lack of complete compliancy with Newton 2.0. If you
> would like to escalate this issue in hopes of becoming an
> exception to this general rule, send an email inquiry -- along with
> solution focus, market need, etc. -- to NewtonDev_at_newton.apple.com,
> and your request will be forwarded to the applicable Newton
> evangelist or product manager. Also, please include the following
> information.
>
> Contact Name:
> Company Name:
> Address:
> Phone:
> Fax:
> email:
> Newton Program membership status:
>
> However, please keep in mind that it's highly doubtful that you -- or
> any other third-party -- will be able to effectively use or even try
> these DDKs for solutions development within the next year.
>
> NewtonDev

> >I don't know if this is the appropiate place to ask or look for support,
> >but I am in need of some information. My name is Ed Anderson, and I am
> >a student at Georgia Tech. A group of fellow students and I were trying
> >to hook up a QuickCam to a MessagePad 130. Does the QuickCam work? Is
> >there any camera that will work? Could it work on a MP2000. I already
> >contacted Connectix, and they could not give me an answer, your response
> >is appreciated. We were looking at the MP2000 as the actual platform to
> >attempt this application. We could become a very good development
> >resource since a working prototype is required of us by June '97.
> > Thanks again for your help,
> > Ed
> >

> >DB REFERENCE ------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> >TIME IN: Jan 13 1997 3:10PM
> >TIME OUT: Jan 14 1997 2:23PM
> >Copyright 1997, Apple Computer, Inc.
>
> NewtonDev
> Apple Computer, Inc.
> 1 Infinite Loop M/S 305-2A
> Cupertino, CA 95014 USA
> (408) 862-1277 - fax
>
> newtondev_at_newton.apple.com
> newtondev_at_applelink.apple.com
> (formerly PIESYSOP)

Now about this "Comm Tools driver development kit" - is this availablle
on UNNA or elsewhere?

--

Mark Rollins, CIH, CSP mark_at_mrollins.com www.mrollins.com mrollins_at_thermo.com