Re: [NTLK] HandEra Review

From: Marco Mailand (Newton2k1_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Aug 27 2001 - 12:27:28 EDT

> > I think that Handera has finally succeeded in making another PDA good
> > enough for me to replace my Newton 2100 with. And I have.
> So Bill, do you mean that you replaces your 2100 with the HandEra and
you're
> scribbling Graffiti style lately, find it hard to believe, or is there a
> good replacement HWR on this machine ?
> (I wouldn't think so, since it's Palm OS but I'm still curious)
The screen of the thing is larger, rotatable and has a collapsable and
backlit scribble area. But the Graffitti thing is identically like on all
Palms/Visors/Clie's/to_be_continued_on_a_regular_basis.

What is the real question is: How does the 64MB...1GB(!) storage expansion
by CF media (that would be e.g. a IBM Microdrive !!!) integrate into the
PalmOS? On the latest expandable Palm 505 (?) a software is needed to swap
data from the storage expansion into the base memory and back (like the
EMM386.sys in 640kB computer era). Limitations on the Palm 505 are in such
that one cannot run programs with overlays and other similar methods to use
larger programs. Anyone on this, maybe you Bill, how is the storage
expansion integrated into the system? Is it as transparent as in the Newton?

--
With best regards / Viele Gruesse

Marco Mailand http://slsbd.psi.ch/timing