Re: [NTLK] Interesting Comparison ( HandEra-Palm and Newton, etc)

From: J. van de Griek (gyorpb_at_mac.com)
Date: Sat Aug 18 2001 - 05:21:26 EDT

On 2001-08-18 06:39, "johnsinho's!" <johnsons_at_macbbs.com.br> wrote:

> 2. Palm looks to Be for OS boost Palm announced on Thursday that it is
> acquiring the technology assets and intellectual property of software maker Be
> for $11 million in stock, in a move aimed at strengthening its operating
> system to compete against Microsoft. Palm said it expects the acquisition to
> bolster its OS, particularly in the areas of communications, Internet and
> multimedia technologies. August 16, 2001, 10:10 a.m. PT
> http://two.digital.cnet.com/cgi-bin2/flo?y=eB6c0Hdgd0U0dy20AH

Even though I've been hearing rumours and buzz about the forthcoming PalmOS
5, I just bought myself a palm m505. And I'm very happy with it.

However, it looks like with PalmOS 5, Palm is planning to make a quantum
leap towards making the Palm more like the Newton. ARM CPUs, better OS (the
BeOS acquisition is very reassuring in this respect), more multi-media
features...

I just hope they can keep what makes the Palm such a fine PDA (portable data
access): killer synchronisation, while adding some of the stuff that made
the Newton the best ever PDA (personal digital assistant): Handwriting
recognition, powerful CPU, well, I guess we all know what made the Newton
great.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--