Re: [NTLK] OS X

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Sat Aug 18 2001 - 05:10:44 EDT

>There seems to be a lot of confusion here about how all this stuff is
>working. The Dock application on the Newton uses serial or AppleTalk,
>nothing else.

Actually MNP Serial at 38400 bps, LocalTalk (57600), EtherTalk (well,
AppleTalk as it's available on the Newton), IrDA and Modem. 2.0
devices don't do EtherTalk nor IrDA.

>It can not transistion over to TCP/IP in any possible
>way.

Not really.
Cf: http://www.tempel.org/newton/

With added packages, we can have any transport.
Cf: http://guelph.unna.org/mirrors/vyx.net/%257Ephilz/app-dir/FastSerialConn/
and: http://www.unna.org/unna/utilites/system_enhancements/Ser57600/

NCU only does MNP at 38400 (Windoze & Mac version), and AppleTalk
(Mac version only). There is a hack to change this to 57600 (for use
with Ser57600).

Apple's DILs only do MNP at up to 57600 (at least this is a limit of
Apple Modem Tool on MacOS), IrDA via the IrDA CTB Tool (Mac only),
TCP/IP (Mac or Windoze) and AppleTalk (Mac only). Maybe we can also
do modem connection via the CTB layer of the MacOS version.

>The application running on your desktop can't either. It's a
>different networking standard. Apple's file sharing protocols can work via
>AppleTalk or TCP/IP, which is why they can switch over.

Actually, I think they can work via LocalTalk, EtherTalk or AppleTalk
over IP, which basically means they can work via AppleTalk whatever
the lower layer is.

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/