Re: [NTLK] Quoting good or bad?

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Wed Aug 08 2001 - 13:26:39 EDT

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Eric L. Strobel wrote:

> on or about 8/8/01 12:58 PM, the following may or may not have been typed by
> Jeremy Bond Shepherd at jbond_at_eskimo.com:
>
> > IF the entire message is more than 20 lines
> > AND IF > 90% of those lines are quoted
> > THEN block.
>
> Counting the "quoting text" (see first line or two above)?? Do the "ads"

Yes, counting the quoted text.

> that get appended also count as part of that 20 lines?? OK, I'm being

No, the message footer doesn't get counted.

> mildly facetious, but there *are* a number of particulars that people may
> (will?) argue over. Personally, I'm all for setting up some algorithm like
> above, but we need to be prepared to have a possibly long discussion where
> some folks may nit-pick to the N-th degree.

Oh, I know, I know. I'm totally prepared for that. What Jeremy
illustrated above is basicially how the Listar quote-filtering settings
work.

> Oh, and while we're at it... Is there any way to truncate subject lines so
> we don't get those bizarre subjects with seemingly the entire internet
> header somehow embedded in the subject???

I'm sort of working on that. I think it has something to do with people
using POP3/IMAP connections to MS Exchange servers, and Exchange deciding
to stuff In-Reply-To headers in the Subject for some bizzare reason. I
did post about this to Listar-support.