NTLK FYI: Intricacies of the Dates and Names Soups

From: Filmer, Paul E (pfilmer@nsf.gov)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 12:45:35 EDT

Don't know if this applies to OS2.0 and below...

I'm using SoupTransport to move my Dates data from one MP2100 to another,
and have come across the following behaviour:

To effectively move everything from one Newton to another, several different
soups have to be beamed, once for each different Store -
1) Calendar (actually contains meetings, and why isn't it called Dates or
Meetings, since the Names soup is called Names???).
2) Calendar Notes (which "logically" actually contains single-day events as
well as any notes)
3) Repeat Meetings (aha, a logically named soup)
4) Repeat Notes (actually contains Bdays, and Multi-day events)

Make sure you are careful with the SoupTransport Put Away options - if you
choose 'replace pre-existing soup' you will end up with only the Dates data
from the last soup you put away! You must 'append' to get everything at the
other end!

Names is much simpler - everything is in fact in a soup called Names. The
only complication is that owner and worksite cards are always stored on
internal. Make sure you don't beam these over to another Newton unless you
really want to:
A) have that other Newton contain all the data in an owner/worksite card,
and
B) possibly overwrite the owner/worksite cards on the target Newton.

By using SoupKitchen, I also found that I had accumulated many 'ghost'
worksites in the Internal Store Names Soup, which looked like they were
generated by mistaken taps in the TimeZones application (resetting the
worksite, and generating a new card) or by printing to a Network printer
that could not be found, thereby generating a new card each time. You may
want to clean these 'ghost' entries up, but BE CAREFUL. They don't show up
through the Owner Info so the only way to see them is w/ SoupKitchen or
similar soup editor.

Cheers,

Paul F.

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the