Re: NTLK MP2K Panic

From: Robert Benschop (robertbenschop@bigfoot.com)
Date: Fri Mar 31 2000 - 04:27:16 EST

on 31-03-2000 4:33, Jon Rousseau at jrizya@hotmail.com wrote:

> Today I received (from another source) the rechargable battery and AC
> adapter (all original, newton, new stuff).

> Now, I went to turn it on again and nothing. I unplugged it, I took out the
rechargable, I pushed the reset (hey, I'm desperate)...I don't know what to
do. > Does anyone have suggestions? It really just seems to have no power
anymore. > If it is really broken, suggestions on how to get it fixed would
also be
> welcome.

There's two things you can try, first of all a hard reset, straight from
your manual:

To do a hard reset:

1 Remove any storage or application cards that are inserted in the
MessagePad.

2 Press and hold down the Reset button and then press and hold down the
Power switch.

3 Hold down the Reset button for two seconds, then release it while
continuing to hold down the Power switch. Continue holding down the Power
switch until a message appears asking if you want to erase your data
completely.

_____________

In your case, if this would work don't proceed with step 4 but tap No, your
Newton should restart normally after a couple of seconds.
_____________

4 Tap Yes.
Another slip appears telling you that all of the data will be erased.

5 Tap OK.
All the information (including any packages you loaded and other
applications that are not built in) is erased and your MessagePad reverts to
the defaults set at the factory. This procedure may take several minutes.

____________

your other option is, again straight from the manual:

System reset: Remove the batteries from your MessagePad and leave them out
for at least twenty minutes. When you perform a system reset, you risk
losing some information entered on your MessagePad, and will need to reset
your clock and calendar information.

good luck,

Robert Benschop

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the