Re: NTLK Wireless LAN... again

From: Bill Davis (newton@ecity.net)
Date: Sun Mar 26 2000 - 23:27:03 EST

On 3/26/2000 5:57 PM, gopi@sloth.org [mailto:gopi@sloth.org] wrote:

>On Sun, 26 Mar 2000, Bill Davis wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure you're mistaken about the Roamer being 802.11. But I'd
>> LOVE to be proven wrong -- I have an AirPort! ;-) Once they get
>> AppleTalk working over the software base station that runs on your Mac (I
>> think only TCP/IP works at the moment) then I'd be able to do wireless
>> NCU and everything, anywhere, with just my PowerBook and Newton and
>> WaveLAN cards for each.
>
>http://macworld.zdnet.com/1994/12/column/449.html
>
>http://www.byte.com/art/9411/sec14/art2.htm
>
>Bottom line is that, indeed, the Roamer is one of the first 802.11 2.4GHz
>devices. They are no longer manufactured, and a search of Google produced
>no hits that were for places sselling them. At a retail price of $700, I
>doubt many were sold...

Great! I'd looked around a bit but didn't see 802.11 mentioned.

$700 - ouch. I paid $166 for my WaveLAN Silver Turbo card.

>My next challenge will be to find out the card ID info for a current
>Lucent card, and borrow one from a friend and test it in my mp2k...

I've got a card, I'll be happy to help out anyway I can (short of loaning
the cards, which I use daily....;-)

>If I fail with that tomorrow, I'll continue reading through the source of
>various open-source wavelan drivers, and then move on to understanding
>Apple's source code for the ne2000 ethernet driver and the core template,
>and writing a new driver from scratch...
>(Going to a school with WaveLAN everywhere make me intensely desire it :)

Lucky you! Can you point me to this source code you mention? I'd love
to learn more.

Good luck! (And thanks for proving me wrong!!! Best Newton info I've
learned in a quite a while!)

 - Bill

 \\ /, "Ink Different" at Info-Newt, the site for Newton PDAs
`( Info-Newt Newton news & info web site: http://www.info-newt.com/
  \ Newton FTP Software archive: ftp://ftp.info-newt.com/
   = GOT A NEWTON QUESTION? Visit: http://www.info-newt.com/faq/

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!