Re: NTLK wireless networking

From: Victor Rehorst (victor@gear.torque.net)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 14:55:26 EST

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, John Droggitis wrote:

> - Ideally, I would like a wireless airport-type connection to the local LAN
> when I'm in range, and a different type of connection, like a cellular
> dialup, when out of range. What hardware is available for such purposes,
> and are there newton drivers?

Proxim RangeLAN2 is rumoured to work, although I do not know of anyone who
actually uses this hardware in Newtons. I have gotten contact info for
Proxim resellers in my area, and when I get some time I might try to
convince them to let me test some equipment, and if it works then maybe
arrange to have them sold to the community (this is at LEAST three months
off, so don't bug me about it now)

> - Are there sources where I can purchase (perhaps bulk quantities)
> messagepad 2000/2100s and support contracts?

I believe all remaining sources have been tapped dry. Unless you drove
down to Memphis and held up the Newton Repair Depot... not that I'd
condone any activity like that.

As for writing such software, since you don't have any NewtonScript
experience I'd suggest starting with NSBasic. It includes a module called
BIT (Basic Internet Tool) which lets you easily do TCP communications on
any newton that runs NIE.

http://www.nsbasic.com

Oh, and for Ethernet card info check my Newton Resources site (address in
the signature)

-----Victor Rehorst - victor@eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca | victor@torque.net------
---Newton Resources: Ethernet, Newton Cage, NewtonTalk archive, and more!---
--------------- http://eddie.cis.uoguelph.ca/~victor/newton/ ---------------

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!