Re: NTLK wireless networking

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 14:56:30 EST

This is rather an interesting Idea...
several years ago when I was giving a demo of a Newton
sollution at a big company in Virginia, I had my
Newton 120 with me and was showing an engineer how
well it works. In walks another engineer with a laptop
in tow and it had this little antenna on it. It was
then i noticed that there were "base stations" in
every room in the building. From what the engineer
told me, this network used a static-persistant IP in
which your computer was given an IP on it's first
interaction to the network. then as you left the room,
or got out of range, the IP would be on "hold" until
you either came back in range, or timed out (15
minutes was what they set it at)
Two weeks after my Demo (and a subsequent rental of 5
Newts) I returned to collect my toys and they showed
me their "new" network. It was essentially the same,
but instead of laptops, it worked with the Newt. They
had developed some custom software that worked with
their wireless lan (remember, this was in '94 or
'95...I can't remember) Some cool "Trekkie" things
that this software did was that if you had the
person's email in your address book, you could tap
Assist, then write "locate Bob Smith" and the request
would to out the server, find that Newton, and return
you the room they were located in. Also in the Assist
was "Chat" In which you could chat with anyone else on
the network. What made this really cool was they also
had that Siemens Newton Phone (I never got to see
this, it wasn't implemented yet) They ended up buying
hundreds of Newts from my source...but have since gone
WinCE soon after Apple announced their discontinuation
of the Newt Platform with no indication of selling it.
Really, the coolest implementation of Newts since I
worked with the department of highways in using a Newt
for wireless telemetry for their highway test
track...I'll tell that story at another time.
Ed
web/story guru

<snip>
> - Ideally, I would like a wireless airport-type
> connection to the local LAN
> when I'm in range, and a different type of
> connection, like a cellular
> dialup, when out of range.
<snip>

=====
this is a temporary sig file until I can figure out a more clever one to use

http://im.yahoo.com

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!