Re: NTLK RE: Palm Emulator

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent_daudelin@fanniemae.com)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 12:18:48 EST

Bradley Smith wrote:

> Best of luck to all involved but, really - what an absolute waste of time.
>
> Zac, if you have the technical knowlege to actually make something like this
> work then why not concentrate your effort on something a bit more sensible?
> The ONLY good thing about the palm is that it's small. Unless your emulator
> includes form-factor emulation then I don't see it being of much use?
>
> Am I missing the point here? I'll be honest, I've missed most of this
> discussion. Is there / are there some killer apps on the Palm that we want
> on the Newton?

Now that someone mentions this, I thought I would chime in. I was also wondering
what applications are available on the Palm that don't have any equivalent on
the Newton? I don't have much time, and I'm pretty busy, but I'm a developer and
if there is demand, I'd like to know what people would like to see that Palm
users have that we don't have (no, they don't have an MP3 player, so don't ask
;-)

With the recent addition of the Newtscape plug-in that lets you read Palm books,
I'm really wondering what we are missing. Anyone care to explain? I haven't
followed the Palm market that much, so I might be lagging a lot regarding the
Palm offerings...

If the reasonning is that you can get a lot of applications for free on the
Palm, where you have to pay to get the equivalent on the Newton, then I guess
that you would need to pursue the emulator thing. I can't spend almost all my
free time and money with a family of 3 to donate all the softwares I could
write. If I come on something that is quickly done, then I don't care, but if I
work over a year on a project, I'm not interested in giving it away. Now, if I
had won the latest DC lottery at 140 millions, that would be different, but
since I don't buy any ticket, that wasn't me!

Anyone else care to comment?

-Laurent.
Laurent Daudelin
Developer, Object Factory, Substrate Fannie Mae
Phone: 703-833-4266 mailto:Laurent_Daudelin@fanniemae.com
Fax: 703-833-7555 Usual disclaimers apply

EVOTE.COM, the ESPN of Politics on the
news on Campaign 2000!

Visit http://www.evote.com today!