[NTLK] [ANN] ATA Support 1.0b10

From: Paul Guyot (pguyot_at_kallisys.net)
Date: Wed Nov 28 2001 - 05:18:05 EST

Hi all,

I'm pleased to finally be able to release ATA Support 1.0b10. I know
it's been more than a month ago that I release 1.0b9, and I apologize
for being late.

This version expires on December, 4th. However, after this date,
you'll only have a warning every time you'll insert a card. ATA
Support will remain fully functional.

What's new?
-----------

* Finished the implementation of the Software Development Kit for
developers to access ATA cards from their programs. Note: this isn't
possible with the demo version. The SDK is documented in the
developers section of the documentation.
* The NetHopper bug (I wasn't able to install NetHopper package on my
ATA card) is in fact that the NetHopper package on my hard drive was
corrupted. I realized this when I tried to install it on one of my
linear cards. This is a relief as this bug seemed very weird.
* Fixed a bug in the initialization of the pool size when formatting
(this lead, among other things, to weird used & total sizes)
* Updates on the new format introduced with 1.0b9
* Several optimizations (some are made possible because of the new
format) which lead to a 10% speed increase (with 20 pages of cache of
each kind - with this new format and these optimization, the role of
the cache should be more important). Indeed, the Nick's Test It test
takes 17.6 seconds on my Hitachi. FYI, it takes 9.7 seconds on my two
third full 6 MB linear Intel Flash Value 100 card.
* Fixed several bugs which occurred when there is no (recognized)
partition on the card.
* The expiration now only leads to a warning.

Known bugs:
-----------

* Under some circumstances, the Newton is locked. This includes
situations when the 3Com's driver is installed.
* Some cards cannot be written to by the driver. This is why some
users experienced problems when partitionning. This problem is well
known and I've found how to fix it. Nevertheless, a general solution
requires to change the format of the partition map. This isn't
complete yet and hasn't been included.
* The eMate problem which restarts when they're closed hasn't been fixed.
* Several modifications have been made to the store management.
However, the current release should be rather stable.

Where to download it?

Well, as usual, on my website.
http://www.kallisys.com/newton/ata/

You'll find the (partially written) documentation inline as well as
in the archives. Please note that the log version isn't included this
time.

Paul

--
Home page: http://www.kallisys.com/