Re: NTLK copyrights

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 16:25:19 CDT

Fopr clarification on this issue, everybody go to this
page and read it:
http://www.photosource.com/legal/lg_feb99.html
Basically, if you take a photograph of an item that is
in the public domain, then you cannot claim copyright
to the photograph. Meaning if you take a photograph of
the Mona Lisa, the Washington Monument or the Golden
Gate Bridge, you cannot claim copyright to those
photographs.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- DON <don@dcphotos.com> wrote:

> Robert Benschop wrote"Sorry Chris, but you don't
> have a point there,
> copyright applies to unique
> pictures, so they have to have something that sets
> them apart from other
> pictures, so unless your school photographer was a
> very creative person
> (quite rare in that field)"
>
> Wrong, I think there is a confusion of the right to
> reproduce something and
> copyright. There is a differnece. Again using the
> brick wall photograph. I
> can take the pic but YOU cannot reproduce it a will.
> You can go and shoot
> your own brick wall and I CANNOT claim you violated
> my copyright by making a
> similar image. This is where uniqueness comes in.
> Much the same way the
> photographer cannot claim he owns the copyrights to
> Chris' likeness because
> he took first the picture of him. If that was the
> case no one else could
> ever take a picture of Chris w/o violating the
> photographers copyright. What
> the photographer does have copyrighs to is HIS
> photos. He controlls (HAHA)
> who, how and in what manner the can legally be
> reproduce in accordance with
> the law I.E. fair use, educational, etc.
>
> Robert Benschop wrote "For the same reason still
> wonder if there can be a
> violation on the T-shirt
> site, AFAIK simple reproduction work can't be
> copyrighted, there aren't any
> artistic merits to copyright."
>
> I beg to differ, I worked for a major deparment
> store photographing
> everything from shoes to room sets. Another store
> could not "whip out the
> ol' scanner" and reproduce a catalog of my images of
> the shoes. This has
> nothing to do with the artistic merit of my shoe
> shots (though they were
> masterpieces...haha). Again, I am not talking about
> the images, but the ACT
> of reproduction.
>
> Don
>
> ***************************************
> NewtonTalk brought to you by:
>
> EVOTE.COM -- the ESPN of politics on the Internet!
> All the players, all the news, and the hottest
> analysis and features (plus 'toons!) anywhere....
> visit http://www.evote.com today!

> Visit the NewtonTalk section at
http://www.planetnewton.com

=====
this is a temporary sig file until I can figure out a more clever one to use

http://mail.yahoo.com/