Re: NTLK Re: MacOS X?

From: Jason M. Smith (smithja@cs.unc.edu)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 09:28:16 CDT

>"Jason M. Smith" wrote:
>>
>[snip!]
>>
>> So, to access the Newton over AppleTalk on Ethernet... it
>> looks like the Carbon app would be able to *see* the Newton, but not
>> establish a connection to it through AppleTalk. Am I correct in
>> this? Any OT gurus out there?
>
>Not an OT guru, but without going into any NDA violation, I can testify
>that NCU sees and connects to my 2100 on AppleTalk over Ethernet.

        This is under DP4? (BTW, I have it, and am a registered and
paid Student Developer, so I think we're okay to talk freely. :) )

        I've held off installing DP4 at home, just using it at work,
and one of the reasons was that I didn't want to lose backing up the
MP, forcing me to downgrade again... that would just be a headache.

        But maybe now I'll give it a shot... Heck, the drive's
partitionable. :)

> > Since NIE is available on the NewtonOS 2.x units, would it be
>> possible to roll a new Docking solution on both ends from scratch,
>> bypassing the Dock protocol that seems to give everyone fits?
>
>Probably.

        But oh my, what a job. :/

>[snip!]

>> >It was much easier that time, since the OS philosophy didn't change.
>>
>> No, just all the implementation...
>
>The little problem here with OS X is that not only they change the core
>OS, but they also decided to revamp the interface. I think we should
>keep these 2 things separate, as the GUI doesn't have anything to do
>with running a Classic application under OS X.

        Absolutely correct. They two are (or should be - one of the
problems with the MacOS Toolbox) completely separate.

>I've been using for
>sometime and it's nice. The display is fabulous. The anti-alias text
>everywhere is very nice to your eyes.

        Agreed - now if they will just add pop-up folders and
docklets to the Dock, I'll be quite happy. :)

> > Agreed, but go back and look at my argument on the shrinking
>> of that market over the next few years... it *will* happen. There's
>> no way around it. In two to three years, the balance may have
>> shifted enough so that you see Cocoa as the proper choice for your
>> market. And no, I don't think two to three years is too short a
>> time... the benefits to the user are going to make MacOS X the most
>> eagerly wanted upgrade ever, IMHO. MacOS 9 migration was a drop in
>> the bucket compared to this. :) Let's face it, if you had an older
>> machine running System 7, MacOS 9 didn't offer *that* many reasons to
>> upgrade. It was a good solid leap, but not compelling. MacOS X will
>> be, I believe. It has the stability (I think the record so far on my
>> machine at work is 8 months uptime, and that's only because I had to
>> move offices...), the power, and the consumer technologies they've
>> come to expect from Apple. Plus some new goodies. ;)
>
>Oh yes! Now, whenever I have an application that doesn't behave under OS
>X, it just gets ejected, leaving the OS untouched! How nice and how
>welcome as a change!

        Isn't it though? I did manage to get the Desktop to crash
once last week, unreproducable, naturally... :/ Telnetting in from
another machine fixed it, but that's not really an option for a lot
of people... :/

        But not bad for an alpha release... :)

>[snip!]
> > Also, Objective-C has this nice little thing called 'posing',
>> where a subclass can stand in for the superclass, system wide. Want
>> all your windows to have a purple border? Subclass NSWindow, add the
>> purple border, tell it to pose as NSWindow system-wide. Done. (Oh,
>> sorry - that's only for all the Cocoa apps... the Carbon and Classic
>> apps can't play there.)
>
>And then you have classes for almost any OS-based functionalities, like
>NSThread, NSPipe, NSTask and so on. Very powerful. And since all the GUI
>is based on classes, you can always subclass to achieve any kind of
>patching. Very elegant and very powerful, indeed.

        Ayup. :)

        Of course, you're still going to have many of the same types
of potential clashes as you did with Extensions... but at least the
OS/Obj-C enforce some error control through selector signatures.
It's an *ordered* chaos. :)

        It is just me, or are there some people that have their head
stuck in 1990? *sigh*

--
Jason Smith						353 Sitterson Hall
smithja@cs.unc.edu					    (919) 962-1821