NTLK PB 160 not starting up

From: Gruendel, Frank 3837 PPE-WT (Frank.Gruendel@de.heidelberg.com)
Date: Fri Sep 08 2000 - 05:55:22 CDT

>> (One more PB question when I have some Mac users as audience... I also
>> have a seccond PB160 that wont start without a battery. The battery from
>> this PB is completely dead. Someone have a hint on this? A new battery
>> in Norway costs +USD150.

>I would suspect that if the machine won't start from AC mains then the PRAM
>battery may be dead. User replaceable if you are daring. See an Apple
>technician. Batteries are USD $25-30 here in the states.

Apart from one singular model all Mac's I know start up without the PRAM
battery installed at all.
There's a special kind of reset that often fixes this problem, don't know
by heart what to do. And I know of one case where a PB 170 wouldn't start up
without the battery installed. The reason most likely was that all
components
together drew more current at startup than the ac adaptor is able to supply
(The current when you turn on a PowerBook is quite a bit higher than the one
during normal operation, esp. if there's one of the fast high capacity
(like 160 MB) harddisks installed).

Frank